Asclera ® (polidocanol) Injection is a prescription medicine that is used in a procedure called sclerotherapy to remove unwanted veins on your legs. It is administered by a healthcare provider to treat two types of veins: Uncomplicated spider veins (very small varicose veins ≤ 1 mm in diameter)
Ssclerotherapy effectively treats varicose and spider veins. It’s often considered the treatment of choice for small varicose veins.
Sclerotherapy involves injecting a solution directly into the vein. The sclerotherapy solution causes the vein to scar, forcing blood to reroute through healthier veins. The collapsed vein is reabsorbed into local tissue and eventually fades.
After sclerotherapy, treated veins tend to fade within a few weeks, although occasionally it may take a month or more to see the full results. In some instances, several sclerotherapy treatments may be needed.
Benefits of Sclerotherapy:
- Can remove varicose and spider veins.
- Is a non-invasive treatment with minimal downtime.
- Can be used on the legs, face, and other parts of the body.
Risks of Sclerotherapy:
- Temporary redness and swelling.
- Sclerotherapy is most effective for people with small varicose veins.
- The results of sclerotherapy are typically noticeable after a few weeks.